This morning started out with not being able to check my emails on my local web server. I also wasn’t able to browse to my web site either. I quickly determined that my D-Link DIR-655 (hardware version: A3) router was at fault. After logging into the router, and opening the Advanced menu, I discovered that none of my Virtual Servers were configured. They had all somehow vanished!
I’ve been having troubles with this router for some time now, and it appears to only be getting worse (I’ve posted on this before here). I’ve recently upgraded the firmware as well to version 1.33NA. I went out to the D-Link support forums and found DIR-655 Virtual Server/Port Forwarding Config doesn’t stay. This post says that you have to enable SecureSpot, reboot, change the virtual servers, reboot, disable SecureSpot, reboot in order to keep the virtual settings.
Another post from the D-Link forums Virtual Servers Settings not persisting comments that the next firmware version 1.34 beta may solve the problems. I’ve been reluctant to install a beta version of the firmware, but I’m now frustrated enough to try it. So here goes…
First, I went to the D-Link ftp firmware download site to download the latest beta firmware. Click on Beta, then Click on Firmware, click on dir655_fw_134b03NA_beta.zip and save it to the desktop. Right click on zip file and extract it here.
Next, log into the DIR-655 and Click Tools | System and Save to Local Hard Drive to save the current settings. Next, Click Tools | Firmware | Browse and find the firmware C:\dir655_fw_134b03NA_beta\DIRA4_FW134b03NAbeta.bin. Then Click Upload.
This process will disconnect you from the Internet. Be sure to close any open connections you may have open. The process will take a couple minutes to complete. The router will automatically reboot and bring you back to the Login screen.
Next, I logged back into the router and checked the configuration settings. At first, it appeared that my Virtual Servers were still configured, but when I attempted to browse my web site, it wouldn’t pull up. So I went back into the router, and after navigating around a bit, I then went back into the Virtual Server page, and no servers were listed.
So I then navigated to Tools | System and reloaded the firmware settings from my hard drive. All settings appear to be fine (for now). I’ll update this post if anything new develops.