My yahoo mail stopped sending emails through Microsoft Outlook 2007 several days ago. I finally had some time to troubleshoot the problem. I fixed the issue by going into Tools / Options then selecting Mail Setup. Next, click on E-mail Accounts… I then selected my yahoo.com account and clicked Change… I first performed a Test Account Settings … and it gave me a send error. After changing several settings, I found and corrected the problem by clicking on More Settings … I then selected Advanced. In the ‘Use the following type of encrypted connection:’ I changed it from ‘Auto’ to ‘SSL’ and that seemed to fix the problem. Just to let you know, I’ve set up my Yahoo mail to ‘Yahoo Asia’ so I can enable Pop3 without purchasing a Yahoo Plus account. It’s been working great for me until recently, and now it’s working great again!
Now having problems connecting to my SmarterMail email account on my personal web-server. When attempting to log in, it is giving me an error ‘Unable to connect to SmarterMail service.’ After looking at the Event Logs, I discovered several ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ errors. After looking through some posts on the SmarterMail website, I discovered that I most likely have a corrupted .Net environment, and that I need to re-install .Net. I found this Microsoft support article explaining how to repair a corrupted .Net installation. I followed the instructions to repair .Net framework.
I first downloaded the .Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package) to my local G:\temp directory.
I then created a C:\temp directory per instructions.
I then opened a command prompt with Administrative privileges by choosing ‘Run as Administrator’.
I then executed the following command:
c”;:\temp\netfx.msi REINSTALL=ALL ReinstallMODE=vomus”
and selected ‘Repair’ / Next >
After a successful completion, I rebooted the server and verified that Windows updates were up to date. I then checked the Event Viewer to check for any additional errors. I haven’t seen any yet.
I’m now able to get into my SmarterMail account, and I had a couple emails that I needed to reply too, all is working fine at the moment. I’ll have to keep an eye on it to see if the problem is actually resolved.