Installing DotNetNuke (free Community Edition) on my www.larrybrouwer.com development web server. My first thought was to use the Web Platform Installer in IIS, however, I opted out of this method as I wanted to gain a better understanding of what was actually occurring. So I downloaded it directly from the codeplex DotNetNuke download site.
There are several packages to choose from, I opted to go with the recommended download, which is the install version (no source code). Since I’ve already downloaded the source on my development workstation, I don’t need it on the server. The current version today is 5.3.1 released on 3/24/2010.
- Downloaded install version from codeplex DotNetNuke download site.
- Unzip files to temp directory.
- Copy contents of DotNetNuke_Community_05.03.01_Install into newly created web folder.
- Open SSMS (SQLServer Management Studio) and connect to local dev database.
- Create new database ‘…DotNetNuke’. Bumped up initial storage to 10MB.
- Added new login and new database user for ‘…DotNetNuke’. Give new db user ‘db_owner’ role.
- Decided to make this my default web site. Used IIS to stop larrybrouwer website. Added DotNetNuke web site on port 80. Used the default application pool.
- Attempted to browse homepage. Getting an access denied error.
- Changed the application pool to one already defined. Still getting same error.
- Current version of IIS is 7.0.6000.16386. OS is Server 2008 SE SP2 32-Bit.
- Found that I need to add ‘NETWORK SERVICE’ user with full control to ‘…DotNetNuke’ folder. see here.
- Attempted to browse homepage again. This time, getting the Installation Wizard page.
- Choosing ‘Typical’ installation.
- Getting errors connecting to SQLServer.
- So at this point, I’ve decided that I’d like my DotNetNuke to run as a sub-application underneath my main website. This should give me more flexibility if I want to change things around later.
- Deleted current installation in progress and copied new install files into ‘…DotNetNuke’ folder.
- Deleted Application in IIS7. Added new ‘…DotNetNuke’ application under my main website.
- Attempted to browse new DotNetNuke application. Now getting a ‘500 – Internal server error.’ message.
- Googled for help. found post here. In Internet Options, de-selected ‘Show friendly HTTP error messages’. Restart IE! Doesn’t take effect until restarting browser.
- Now getting the standard ‘Not Found – HTTP Error 404’ message.
- Found an installation utility written by Mike van der Meulen. I decided not to use his utility.
At this point, I gave up a manual installation and once again went back into IIS7 and ran the Web Platform Installer. I selected only the components needed (SqlServer dependencies, and DDN). I got it to complete fine, however, when I tried to browse the application, it gave me the same 404 error.
So, I recreated the environment from the manual install and the saga continues below:
- Modified the ‘..DotNetNuke/web.config’. Added location tag around ‘<system.web>’ section.
Didn’t work. Upon further googling, I discovered that most of these application can’t run as a sub application and have to be ran from a root website.
… At this point the day has ended. I will take this up another day. I’ll keep you posted… so to speak!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.