I spent most of the afternoon tracking down a problem with my web server. Performance came to a standstill. So I went into Task manager and found the MailService.exe process was maxing out resources. I rebooted, and found that it would gradually start taking more and more resources until the system became virtually unusable. Within 20 minutes after a reboot of the system, it would be hogging most of the memory, and max out the CPU to 100%. I also looked through the event Application logs. Searched for ‘mail’. Found errors “System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown.”.
I then Googled on ‘mailservice.exe memory System.OutOfMemoryException’ and found this post on SmarterTools Forums – MailService.exe memory reporting issue in 6.5. Many users seem to be experiencing this problem. A second post from the SmarterTools Forums – HELP! SmarterMail.exe keeps failing every few hours also indicates that this is a Microsoft .Net issue. They refer to the prior post stating the fix is to re-install Microsoft .Net. I’ve already attempted this procedure before. See my prior post 2010-04-23 Notes for the day.